Tuesday, October 29, 2013

DevLearn 2013 - The Wrap Up (or Waking Up In Vegas)

(Instead of boring topic headers, I'm going with quotes this go-around...)

“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.” (AA Milne)

DevLearn...Vegas or wherever it ends up...DevLearn...

Is it an eLearning conference?  Is it group therapy?  Could it possibly be both?  I'd like to think so.

I will apologize straight away if, under the guise of a wrap up, you came here expecting what my top 3 or 5 takeaways were.  Or, maybe, what the 'next big thing' is going to be coming out of the Guild...maybe that's what you came here for.  God forbid you came here for an answer of any sort...if you find one, let me know.  I tend to have more Qs than As.  No, I write this wrap up as a realization of one thing: DevLearn, itself.

Having now been a repeat visitor to DevLearn four times over now, something's becoming more and more clear to me.  This conference is, by far and away, THE annual meeting of the eLearning minds you should attend if you care about the industry.  And when I say care about the industry, I don't mean the newest buzzword, concept, theory, or trick.  I mean what people are doing every day, in every job, no matter how remote, small, or seemingly inconsequential. 

DevLearn is about the people.  And I've learned something about these people, at least a select lot of them, that I didn't realize in conferences past.  Whether I was too young, too insecure, too new, or whatever the fault was, I thought it couldn't possibly be so...but it is:

These people are my friends.


“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . .” (CS Lewis)

I looked to a significant segment of the folks that attended this conference and, egotist that I can be on my home turf, would step back slowly into the shadows when it came to these people I respect...even revere in some instances.  But I realized...I woke up this time around and saw that they were just as happy to see me...that they were just as happy to listen to an idea I had about something, or a question I needed to raise.  What started with a casual piece of feedback here and there developed into late night conversations about the industry...about our jobs...or not. 

In speaking with one of these friends (Tracy Parish), we discussed for a moment, over lunch, what we'd be attending.  And what we realized was that we weren't necessarily attending sessions based on the subject matter, but, rather, the presenter themselves.  Now, don't get me wrong - I saw a couple sessions from people I hadn't met before, but I saw what she was saying and pretty much followed suit.  I knew these people, I liked these people, and wanted to hang on their words because of the respect I have for them.  And it held true for her session, as well.

Some of the sessions I attended, all of which relevant, I knew the presenter well before the session (Jane, Tracy, etc.).  Others, I had interacted with the presenters before, but they were unaware of the respect I had for them and their craft (Kevin, Clark, Sarah, etc.).  Others still...well, they ran the show this year (Hi, Dave).  Did I stick with comfortable faces?  Maybe.  But these, to me, are the faces of the Guild...and I was the most opposite thing to disappointed I could have ever been.  And these folks, as Kevin commented, have slowly become good friends.


“Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit.” (Aristotle) 

Again, should I maybe have stuck to takeaways as part of this wrap-up?  Maybe.  Who knows, maybe I'll write another one doing just that.  But not now.  Right now, I want to be thankful for involvement with the eLearning Guild, the DevLearn conference (and all their opportunities), the knowledge I've gained, and will continue to gain.  I'm thankful, indeed, for that.

But down deep, and now on the surface, I know I am most grateful for my colleagues.  My friends.  Thanks for making it the best year ever.  I'll see you next year.

SR

25 comments:

  1. This is the first post *ever* that has wrapped-up DevLearn exactly how I see it. Excellent recap.

    The take-away is: Participate. Whether it is literally at the conference or in the Twitter backchannel, get involved. Give feedback. Ask for feedback. Share your thoughts and experiences about the state of the industry. Collaborate to make it better. It's not about the next big thing. It is about every day and what we are doing to be even better rather than complacent as if we've "made it" somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I've made it, if for nothing else being around you all. Really nice to have ACTUALLY met you and talked with you.

      Delete
  2. You nailed it. For me the Guild events, especially DevLearn, are like breathing better oxygen. And: What Sarah said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm privileged to share such oxygen with y'all. Thank you for your continued awesomeness.

      Delete
  3. You can make the most intense friendships at DevLearn and other events. Shared interests, mutual respect and all-round awesomeness make it easy.

    I walk in to the DevLearn crowd and feel the love instantly whether from friends of 20 years or 20 minutes. Makes me smile every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed it. It's the shared interest and mutual respect...time is but a detail. The competition of the day to day work place dissolves. Here, we can just 'be'. Great seeing you as always...we'll do it again next time.

      Delete
  4. Great post and comments. This is why I love Guild events. The content is great, but it's the community that keeps me coming back.

    And yes, I'd have said the same thing a year ago before I joined the company.

    Of course, now I need to throw down the gauntlet Shawn. I expect a proposal or two from YOU next year so you can share your story with the community.

    -David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gauntlet accepted, my good sir...and I'm honored to receive it from 'the guy'. Your intro really cemented not just in my mind, but my heart, what this random group of people who like to figure out better ways to get info from point A to point B are truly all about. I'll definitely take that challenge, and it very well may be the easiest presentation I've ever put together in my life. Ever. Hopefully next time, we can hang out a little more. Til then...

      Delete
  5. Well said and well written Shawn! The closest friends I have today are a direct result of the Guild community. I'm humbled to be included as one of yours.

    And what David said.

    - Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please - I'm humbled to have finally gotten to meet the man behind the nugget. I truly gained a lot, not just from your session, but from your reaction to my blog...makes me feel like I'm doing something worthwhile and not just blithering away at a laptop. Hopefully next year, I'll have some sketchnotes to share with you...see you then!

      Delete
  6. Interesting post. I do try every year to jump to topics that are outside my comfort zone and new to me. What is amazing and this year like no other, the topics I gravitate to first by title alone, and then outline seemed to keep being presented by people I knew personally, virtually, or on my list to meet. A fine, outstanding group of presenters are always on hand to expand your mind and vision of the future for this thing we lovingly call eLearning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could not agree more, and our discussion really sort of rang a bell for me...made me realize just what I was doing and, moreover, WHY I was doing it. I'd say see you next year, but we'll be in contact throughout for UFC events and, maybe just maybe, a joint healthcare training presnetation? Take care...

      Delete
  7. Great job, Shawn. And yes, it was lovely to meet you (albeit briefly). I didn't do as much socializing as is usual this year and missed it! And: what Jane said about breathing better oxygen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy! Yes, briefly, but nice nevertheless. So glad you got a chance to check this post out...hopefully, we can do the social angle a bit more next time. See you then!

      Delete
  8. I absolutely agree with everything you said, thank you for saying it much more eloquently than I ever could have :) (Runs off to follow and read more from Shawn... and be disappointed I didn't meet you) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...sad to have missed you! We will most certainly have to make it a point to touch base both digitally and in person next year. So glad you like the blog...I feel like I babble at times, but we (former) English teachers are prone to drove on and on. Thanks again!

      Delete
  9. Shawn, lovely post. It is about community, and doing the job day in and day out. But it is *also* about the next big thing. I hear about things like xAPI, and transmedia storytelling, and limited internet filters at DevLearn (and through the Guild, too). And deliberately try to push the enveloped. What all above said, and do go find my eLearnMag article on why you should be submitting :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be certain to do so, good sir. Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
    2. Got cut off before...to finish: It was so nice, as with Kevin, to actually meet you and get to speak with you, as you've been a figure I've read up on for some time. Your presentation was (as my blog shows, I'm sure) impactful, and meeting the man behind was even better. Certainly not an absolute, when it comes to the next big thing...I don't want to ever ignore innovation. But I do think some people fanaticize over it, and it's their sole takeaway. But, without context, what good is it? The people, the connections, the framework - Therein lies the context, in my humble (incredibly so) opinion. Heading off to check out your article now...thanks so much!

      Delete
  10. Shawn, you captured my feelings exactly. I love DevLearn for the old friends I see and the new friends I make, for the intense brain bursts I get, and for the ability to see other people's perspectives and learn from them. New technologies, new ideas, new approaches and a lot of laughs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it, Joe - The brain bursts that hardly ANYONE else understands, the perspectives that make us not become insecure about our own but say "Ahh!", technologies, ideas, and so on. But, again, it's the friends...the ones who will listen like no other and share your professional "OMG" moments...therein lies the awesomeness for me. Sad we didn't get a chance to connect this time around...till next year!

      Delete
  11. I attended via the back channel and took a great deal away from DevLearn. From the back channel one acquires things in fragments. The fragments are part of an algorithm which will provide great value.I know this is a great community and I did not set foot in Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Kelly, that means a lot (to me and I'm sure to everyone on here). It really is, and I'm glad the experience, while different, is still effective via the backchannel. Should you ever make it in person, be sure to track me down...would love to meet you!

      Delete
  12. We are absolutely beaming at the Guild about your post, Shawn, and at all the comments that follow. Thank you, everyone, for the kind words. This is exactly why Heidi and David started the Guild over 10 years ago: To provide opportunities for eLearning professionals to learn from and be enriched by others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I, in turn, am beaming at its reception...thank you! Great people, great organization...what's not to like?

      Delete