Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Keynote Speaker - Day One - Jeff Howe

The Suburban Morons...seriously? Fluevog? This guy's already a class act in my book, content aside...

*ahem*

Crowd Sourcing - The analogy goes like this: A lot like Old Faithful...but it's not about the water that sprays out, rather it's about what's below the surface...the magma, the pressure, etc. It's not something I've ever really thought about before, or really knew about - but I've participated in it more than I've known.

Practically, I can't see a tie in to what we do, but that's not to downplay it in the slightest...it just means my industry is a bit more tight gripped in the way we do things. Thinking to other, less rigid industries, I can see an amazing amount of applications.

Crowd Sourcing = cheap labor, input for free...and you can't argue with that.

My apologies...I got so engrossed in Jeff's presentation that my details are a bit sparse, but there are four tenets that lend themselves to the rise of Crowd Sourcing. They are:

1.) The Amateur Renaissance
2.) The Open Source Revolution
3.) The Democratization of Production
4.) The Rise of Online Communities

Again, great presentation - I can definitely see value in Crowd Sourcing for other industries. I don't know that I'd ever be able to find a use for it, creating CBT for the Healthcare industry (specifically, an EMR with very specific processes), but who knows...they said four years ago that CBT wouldn't work either!

No comments:

Post a Comment